OS: Mac OS X Maverick 10.9.4 64 bit
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge
RAM: 8 GB Corsair RAM 1600 MHz x 4
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA Z77-DS3H Rev 1.0
Graphics Card: Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2GB DDR3 RAM Rev2.0
Optical: ASUS DRW-24D3ST
Storage: Western Digital WDC WD30EZRX-00D8PB0 3 TB
Power Supply: Corsair RM Series 850W
- Due to Motherboard unable to detect the Graphics Card in Gen3 mode, PEG settings set to Gen2 instead. No more boot issue
- Setting the machine to Mac Pro 3,1 enables the VGA port. Changing it Mac Pro 6,2 disabled the VGA port
- OSX86 took almost a month to be completed.
Issues & Workarounds
- Motherboard was unable to boot with Gainward GT640 with 1 long and 2 short beeps
- While motherboard randomly able to boot through the Gainward GT640, Kakewalk is unable to boot - Switched to Unibeast
- Found a workaround to reset the Gainward GT640 card after not able to be detected on this mobo. Put it on the older mobo GA EP43 UD3L, detected without issues. Then switch back to Z77 DS3L with all sort of CMOS reset before it is able to be detected
- While motherboard randomly able to boot through the Gainward GT640, windows were unable to load. Screen just disappeared. Used all VGA, DVI and HDMI port. No hopes
- Removed Gainward GT640 and installed Mountain Lion with the built-in Intel HD4000 graphics. Installation was breeze smooth without any issues
- Tested 3D acceleration. Super bad result
- Realized sound deterioration while watching youtube. No fix had been found
- Decided to install Maverick instead
- Corrupted the old SL 10.6.8 on GA EP43 UD3L. Planning to save data
- Able to install Maverick on GA EP43 UD3L with Gainward GT640 card like a breeze. The switch used: -v -GraphicsEnabler=No IGPEnabler=Yes
- Failures over failures installing with Gainward GT640. Experimented with the old MSI 9500GT to install maverick on Z77 DS3H. Installation was smooth. 3D test was disappointing.
- Decided to but Gigabyte GT 640 card. Still with Graphics Card detection issue by the mobo.
- While mobo able to randomly boot with Gigabyte GT 640, able to complete installation without the screen going blank. Switch used: -v GraphicsEnabler=No
- Read almost everywhere that most Gigabyte mobo had issues with PCIex16 cards. Some people set PEG to lower Gen2 or Gen1 to resolve BIOS boot issue.
- Set PEG to Gen2 and the card is detected without any issue
- Set machine to Mac Pro 6,2 disabled the VGA in Mac OSX. Switched back to Mac 3,1 to continue using VGA.